Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Perfect Day



You know … the universe continually cracks me up. Like John Hiatt sang; “just when you thought you’ve been jipped, the bearded lady comes and does a double back flip.”

Well, yesterday – she was flipping all over the flipping place!!

Just a few hours after I posted yesterday about the Flyers, and the joy my son gets watching the games with me on TV – the eldest Brother McC calls me with a line on two free tickets for yesterday’s Flyers game against the NJ Devils. (Thanks, Teek!)

So … off we went.

To say that I had what would be considered a perfect day … well … it was. Even though the rain pounded the car for the entire ride to the arena (we were lucky to have a Parking Pass that put us about thirty yards from the doors), even though there was the crush of traffic; The World Series traffic (tail-gaters mostly at this hour), a ‘Celtic Thunder’ concert at the old Spectrum, and a Sold Out house for the Flyers; all on the way, we actually got there pretty smoothly.

Ian, dressed in his Flyers t-shirt, was handed a Phillies ‘Rally Towel’ as soon as we entered the building. A rally towel that he waved for about 98% of the game. His hero, Marty Biron, was in the net, and his Daddy was as excited as he was to be there.

One note: I know that Philly Fans always get a bad rap. And, let’s face it, some of that rep is pretty well earned. But, everywhere we walked, and particularly, in our seats, all the other fans were great. They all spoke to Ian – asked him questions – high fived him - and were more than polite when it came to anything that was being shouted towards the ice.

The game – wow!!!! Fast and furious. Lights, colors, sounds, everything that a three year old (and a 47 year old for that matter) would love. And, in the end, the Flyers scored an OT goal to beat the Devils to win both ends of a home-and-home series.

As we drove home, both a little exhausted, there wasn’t a lot of talk in the car, till I heard my son ask from the back seat; “Daddy … can we go back there again?”

Like I said earlier: a perfect day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love that you guys had so much fun!