Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Flyers: Like Father – Like Son



You know – it’s been a rough start for the Flyers this year (0-3-3). And, with the Phillies marching in to the World Series, the little coverage the Flyers usually get has shrunk even more. But, for the Flyers Faithful, that’s OK – because we still get nights like last night.

Last night, The Flyers took their game into the Meadowlands to face off against the NJ Devils. The Flyers hadn’t beaten the Devils on their ice in years. So, as I sat down to watch the men in orange and black last night, I wasn’t expecting much. But, as I sat there, a three year old who believes that Martin Biron is not only the best goalie in the NHL, but the best ice hockey player on Earth – there’s always hope.

Then something funny happened on the way to another Flyers loss. The boys showed up and played their hearts out. Marty Biron began to realize that he is one of the NHL’s elite goalies and Mike Richards showed why he is the team captain – dishing out four assists. It was a fast paced, action packed game, with the lead changing hands numerous times. And, with each passing minute, the excitement grew.

Here at the Brothers McC, sports has played a big role in our lives. Always had – ever since we were kids. And, though I’m the only brother to live & die with the Flyers, the other two “feel my pain” when the Flyers lose, and share my joy when they win.

Now, the Flyers are back with another season and I’m right back there with them. Only this time, I have a co-pilot flying with me. Having a three year old son sitting next to you as the Flyers take to the ice – and hearing that kid scream – will make me smile every game – win or lose. Of course, on the night games – like last night, he can only watch a little bit with me – but his excitement still puts a huge grin on my face. And sure, I know that Ian isn’t fully aware of what is actually going on, all he knows is that the Flyers make Daddy happy – and that’s good enough for him. Well, at 47, I’ve learned something from my three year old son: Win or lose – as long as the Flyers are making him happy – that’s good enough for me. Though, beating the Devils always makes the ‘good enough’ a little better!

No comments: