Friday, October 17, 2008

Levi Stubbs; R.I.P.



Levi Stubbs, the gruff-voiced yet exceedingly expressive frontman of soul music giants the Four Tops, has passed away at age 72 in his Detroit home. The powerful lead singer on hit singles including 'I Can't Help Myself,' 'It's the Same Old Song,' 'Reach Out I'll Be There,' 'Standing in the Shadows of Love' and 'Bernadette' in the 1960s, Stubbs had been ill in recent years, having recently been debilitated by a stroke and cancer that forced his retirement in 2000.

On a personal note: I can not tell you the amount of hours that I spent listening to this man (and his AMAZING band) teach me about love, life, friendship and more love (both happy and sad). There's an old Al Stewart song titled "Post World War Two Blues" where he talks about the death of Buddy Holly. He sings:

"I still remember the last time I cried
The day that Buddy Holly died
I never met him so it may seem strange
Don't some people just affect you that way"

Thank you, Mr. Stubbs

np - "Reach Out And I'll Be There"

No comments: