Thursday, March 13, 2008

Off The Beaten St. Patrick’s Path: 12 Days Of Irish: Day Eight: The Luck Of The Irish

OK … here we are … Day Eight of our 12 Days of Irish … Off The Beaten Path … and I realized that there is one topic that the Brothers McC have yet to touch on, that is: The Brother’s McC.

What, you say? Egotistical? No! Not in the least. College basketball is full swing, the Flyers are in a fight for a place in The Stanley Cup playoffs, my son is in bed, my wife is out with the girls … I’m a few pints of Harp in to the night … and, the Irish are … what’s the word … loquacious! So … here we go.

What does it mean to part of this particularly verbose and (most times) well-minded trio? Well, let me tell you … sometimes it aint easy … and sometimes there is a hell of a lot of pressure. But, I’m not here to talk about us (per se) tonight.

Tonight, let me just say, we are three of the luckiest Irish knuckleheads that you will ever meet. Sure, out of the gate, and growing up, there were a few rough miles (some of which I’m sure will find their way in to later postings). But, in retrospect, I’m pretty sure it was those … how shall we say … ‘tougher days’ … that have made us the men that we (hope, think, pray) we are today.

But, like I said, we are some lucky keiwo (re; keiwo: look it up … it’s Gaelic). I mean … for fooks sake; have you ever met our wives? Sweet Jeebus – did we out-kick our coverage or what??? Go ahead … I dare you … find three brothers that have married up as well as we have.

Trip??? If anyone can ever explain to me how he scored, the pints are on me. And this just isn’t a Brothers McC thing, here’s how his Teenage Kicks partner puts it: Clearly, (Trip) has some sort of sinister powers that could be unleashed on the Midwestern test subject at any moment. There’s no way that guy gets a woman like that. No. Freaking. Way. The term “better half” was invented for this couple.

Kevin … well, he owes somebody ‘big time’ for the fact that he gets to share a home with McFuss. Where do we even start? I know that only three of us were there to see it … but at her first live viewing of an NHL game (on my birthday, no less) she proved to be everything that any man (much less Kevin) deserved. “Shoot the fooking puck!”

And me … my wife married a fooking musician … what more do you need to know about her cojones? She’s already got one foot in heaven for that. Yeah … I know the saying … “Blessed are the music makers, they are in God’s heart.” But trust me … God has a special place for those who put up with the music makers. What’s that they say about needing an inquisitive mind & a fearless heart?

And I haven’t even started in on how blessed we are with our kids! ;-)

So … here we are. Three overgrown, over-hyped, overworked, over-the-hill sport fans … who majored in music (or music fans who major in sports … whatever)… who have found three great ladies, living three separate slices of life, by following three separate highways … but have somehow ended up in the same place:
Neck deep in the luck of the Irish!

1 comment:

Kevin McClatchy said...

Nicely done. Now I just might actually get "lucky" tonight.