Saturday, March 29, 2008

Martin Biron: A Gentleman, A Role Model




As so often happens in the world of sports (and, I guess, the world in general as well) only the negative sports stories seem to grab the headlines. With baseball on the return, all of last year’s scandals are being plastered as “news” again.

But I want to write about something good today. And, as it so often is the case, it can take just one man to do something good that can leave a lifetime of happy memories.

By now, it no surprise to my brothers that I am an ice hockey fanatic. Though they have absolutely no idea why, and they seem determined to ignore it (my older brother refusing to even call ice hockey a “real” sport) – I love the NHL. And, when it comes to the Philadelpia Flyers, well … I really should seek professional help.

A few weeks ago, there was a notice at a local sporting good store: Martin Biron, the starting goalie for the Flyers, would be in the store signing autographs. Growing up I loved goalies. Actually, I still do. I mean, when you’re formative years have names like Bernie Parent & Ken Dryden … and one of your birthdays parties was spent watching Jim Craig shut down The Soviet Army … well, it leaves an impression. Bit I digress.

My three year old son, Ian, loves watching ice hockey with his Dad. He’s not sure why … he just knows that hockey makes his Dad happy – so that’s good enough for him. And, like his Dad, Ian gets a kick out of the goalies – and the “cool” masks they wear.

I decided to take Ian to meet Mr. Biron and to start his own autograph collection. By the time we arrived, a large portion of the fans had already been through the line. We were at the tail end of what I’m sure had been a long day for Biron. When Ian entered the store, he looked towards Biron and excitedly yelled: “Daddy … there’s the hockey man!!!”

Biron stood up from his table – looked at the three year old kid running at him and said: “How ya’ doing buddy? What’s in the bag?”

Ian was holding a bag that contained some of his prized possessions: plastic dinosaurs.

Ian told him: “I’ve got my dinosaurs.”

Biron’s response: “Well, let’s see them!”

For the next few moments, a man who’s talents I admire, played ‘dinosaurs’ with my son. I turned with a stunned look to the manager of the store. He told me: “Marty has been like this since he got here. He could be one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met.”

What more do you need to know? A NHL star who still thinks it’s the right idea to treat his fans like they are important. It was a great day. I have no idea where Mr. Biron’s career will take him. All I can tell you is that he has (at least) two fans that will cheer for him every step of the way.

Martin Biron: A Gentleman, A Role Model

2 comments:

Unknown said...

plus...you know...he's cute ;-)

Kevin McClatchy said...

Must've been an amazing day. Thanks for letting us in on it.
Reminds me of the story when my mother-in-law's friend approached Paul Newman walking in midtown Manhattan with his daughter. The friend asked for an autograph. Newman said "Fuck off" and ... oh, guess not.