Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Came To Dance





OK … lately I’ve been on a bit of a Motown kick. And, lo and behold – the February Issue has a great article on the 100 Greatest Tracks Of Motown.

I love articles like this – because there is never a definitive answer to the question; “What the best … ?”

So, after reading through MOJO’s picks, I thought I’d add mine. Anyone else who feels the need to chime in … please do.

10) “Superstition” – Stevie Wonder
This is the sound of a man changing the way music was written, recorded and played.

9) “I Want You Back” – The Jackson 5
I wore this record out. It was tough to pick just one – but I did,

8) “Dancing In The Streets” – Martha & The Vandellas
Go ahead … try to keep your ass in your seat when this comes through the speakers … I defy you!!!

7) “Aint No Mountain High Enough” – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
I’ll admit it – I love the duets, and this duet nails it! And (if you believe the history of this track) it’s amazing that Marvin & Tammi sang their tracks without the other being there.

6) “Just My Imagination” – The Temptations
I really tried to list 10 separate artists for this Top Ten; but for all the bluster that is found on ‘Aint Too Proud To Beg’ – here the Temps bring all the beauty. Vocals that have yet to be match on the gazillion versions I’ve heard of this track.

5) “Reflections” – The Supremes
This song ruled my “mix tapes” for a while. It’s really hard to find a song that captures the production, lyrics and perfect vocals that they put on tape for this track.

4) “What’s Going On” – Marvin Gaye
The beauty of this song transcends time, race, age, fears, music and politics. Not only the vocals, but the true human spirit that Marvin Gaye brings to this track still chills my spine.

3) “Aint Too Proud To Beg” – The Temptations
From that slam-bang intro, to the full throated vocals, and head on collision arrangements, this songs feels like a train stream rolling down the tracks, no brakes – no conductor – just a man on his knees – trying to reclaim his lost love.

2) “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted” – Jimmy Ruffin
With the possible exception of ‘The Last Waltz’ version of The Band’s “It Makes No Difference” – I do not think there has ever been – or ever will be a better track about being broken hearted. You do not even need to understand the English language to understand (and feel) Jimmy’s heartbreak in this song.

1) “Reach Out I’ll Be There” – The Four Tops
This song will always get me moving, singing, dancing, driving faster, turning the radio up louder … you name it! For me, this is as good as it gets!

No comments: