Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Hawk Will Never Die



It’s a funny thing about the loyalties of your youth – they just never die. And for me, one of those strongest ties was built at one of the greatest sports halls in the world; The Palestra. For the uninitiated, the Palestra housed the college basketball games of the The Big Five (St. Joe’s, Penn, Temple, La Salle & Nova). And, when I was a kid, a couple of bucks got you a soda, a Philly soft pretzel and (on most Saturdays) a double-header.

What’s not to love???

Well, as we all know, The Hawk Will Never Die – and apparently, neither does a young boys love for the team, the school and … well … sports.

As I’ve moved back to Philly, and once again picked up on the local sports scene – yesterday I found myself (and my four year old son) at The Skatium; another great little sports site – though this one housing not basketball, but ice hockey games. And there, on the ice, were the St. Joe Hawks.

Just that quick I was immersed with the faithful, cheering the Hawks on. Sadly, on this occasion, the Hawks efforts fell short – but it was a great game. There was excitement, great plays, bad calls, powerplays, odd man rushes, great saves … everything that makes hockey (and college sports) fun!! And, in what has become a rare oddity in today’s sports world; it was free!!

So, my dear readers, my advice for you today – find a team, find a passion, and get on out there and cheer. Or, as the wife of the youngest Brother McC would say; “Shoot the ****ing puck!!!!”

Anyone who cares to join me as the Hawks skate again, here’s a link to their schedule.

The Hawk Will Never Die!
Scott

No comments: