Sunday, July 8, 2007

E-A-G-L-E-S


Nothing says All-American and apple pie better than baseball... unless you live in Philadelphia, where, despite my own sworn blood oath to the Saint Joseph's University basketball team, the city's religion is unquestionably, undoubtedly, definitively the Philadelphia Eagles.

And over the last 6 months, my son has become obsessed with the NFL. Each morning brings a new inquiry - "Is Brian Westbrook good?" Yes. "How good?" He's pretty good. "Hall of Fame?". I don't think so, he'd have to have many more great years. "OK Dad." That template has been repeated often enough that we've whittled it down to this shorthand. "Jerry Rice?" Hall of Fame, buddy.

My son's NFL interest is contagious and I await each new discovery. "Dad!! The Panthers just signed David Carr to a two-year contract!" Huh? What time is it? 6:15! That's great buddy... go back to sleep. OK Dad.

Yesterday I took Sean and four friends to an autograph signing for Eagles's CB Sheldon Brown. These kids... their love is pristine. The shrieks of delight when we spotted Shedon Brown's BMW were almost as overwhelming as the awestruck silence by each child as they got their autographs, filing by reverently without so much as a word spoken or a hand shook.

I hope I haven't set my son up for years of heartbreak, but I suppose it's better to have rooted and lost than to have never rooted at all.

This year... Super Bowl, baby!!

2 comments:

Kevin McClatchy said...

Teek,
That is just too spectacular. Sean never really had any choice in the matter. He's hard-wired for the roller-coaster ride that is a lifetime of sports.
I'm envious.

S-Dawg said...

Dad I dont go to bed at 6 o'clock !!!But thanks for the nice coments about me! Also Keyshawen johnson retired.